Thursday, November 11, 2010

Natural Highs...further travels aboard the wagon.

A friend said to me the other day, "The thing about not drinking is, you know that when you wake up in the morning that is the best you are gonna feel all day."  He went on to explain that because he is a drinker he has the prospect of inebriation to look forward to...whereas i have nothing. If only he knew how wrong he is. Yes, i do wake up feeling good...in fact i wake up feeling bloody marvellous! Clear headed, happy and relishing the prospects of the day ahead of me. I remember how i used to struggle to get up after getting plastered and then spend all day fighting to feel normal again.I have taken up jogging and go early mornings most days now...well it was post-jog today as i was towelling off after a shower that i had a kind of an epiphany. I felt so good, so clear headed...my mind sharp and focussed and active and in tune with my body which tingled from the recent exertion. I felt fit and strong and ...well...let's just say i was in a great place...and i thought, 'this feeling is better than any drug.' Getting in tune with yourself...mind and body focussed is so much better than chemical 'highs', better than alcohol 'highs'.....with the natural highs you stay higher longer and you dont get the lows...those dreadful comedowns. If only i had learnt this lesson thirty years ago...who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks!

No comments:

Post a Comment